FAQs Vital records
Everything you need to know about vital records and why you may need them. The difference between long and short forms, as well as, how you can obtain a certified copy. All this and more answered in this section.
What is a vital record?
Why do I need a Birth certificate?
- Applying for a passport
- Applying for government benefits
- Enrolling in some schools
- Joining the military
- Claiming pension or insurance benefits
- Getting your driver's license
- Getting a replacement Social Security card
- Genealogy information
- International use
- Court proceedings
- Social security
Why do I need a Death Certificate?
- Estate settlement
- Pension / Retirement
- Property transfer
- Stocks / bonds
- Benefits (including Veterans benefits)
- Legal purposes
- Amendment of a vital record
- Social security
- Discharge loan
- Tax purposes
What is the difference between a long form and a short form?
Short Form Birth Certificate Format
A short form birth certificate contains almost all of the important information that is on a long form birth certificate except it may not have signatures or detailed parents information on it depending on the state location. It is usually used as proof of identity or citizenship. However, some states may not accept this version and require you ro request the long form. If you need the long form you will need to specify that in your application.
Long Form Birth Certificate Format
A long form birth certificate, which is often referred to as the official version, typically has all the information regarding an individual's birth birth. However, the information included varies from state to state (e.g.; time and place of birth, parent’s names,address, signatures of those present at birth, etc.) A long form is often used to start an adoption process, if you are applying for a dual citizenship, or to obtain a passport.
How can I get a certified copy of a vital record?
A certified copy of a birth certificate will usually include the following information (valid for obtaining a passport):
- Issued by the office of vital statistics of the state, county, or city where the birth occurred
- Show the full name at birth
- Show the parent's full name(s)
- Indicate the date and place of birth
- Bear the embossed, impressed, multi-colored, OR raised seal and signature of the issuing authority (the state that you are ordering the certificate from decides on what type of certification seal to use)
- Indicate a registration / file date within one year of the birth.
It is very important that if you need your certificate for a Passport application that you select this as the 'Reason' for ordering the record. If you require a certified document for use overseas (Marriage abroad, International Adoption, Dual Citizenship, etc.,) you will need a separate certification referred to as an 'Apostille' or 'Certification Certificate'.
O.V.U.S. (Onlinevitalus)makes the process of requesting vital records easy, safe, and fast! Our application assistance services guarantee you get the right certificate.
Does a birth / death certificate have an expiration date?
Everything you need to know about the process of requesting a certified birth or death certificate. All about eligibility and ID requirements and how to request your certified copy of a birth or death certificate.
How do I request a birth / death certificate?
What documents to I need to request a birth / death certificate?
What information am I required to provide to get a copy of a birth / death certificate?
- Full name of person at birth
- Date of birth
- Date of Death
- State of birth or death
- County or city of birth / death
- Hospital where birth or death occurred
- Full maiden name of mother
- Full name of father
- Your name
- Your signature
- Your relationship to the person whose certificate you are requesting
- Reason for requesting the certificate
- Address where the certificate is to be mailed
- Your daytime phone number
Who is eligible to request a birth / death certificate?
Can I request a vital record in Spanish?
How do I replace a birth / death certificate?
How do I request a birth certificate for a newborn?
How can I request a birth certificate if I changed my name?
I’m adopted. How can I request a copy of my birth certificate?
How long it takes and how much it costs to request a certified copy of a vital record. Everything you need to know about your state fees and processing times and rush services.
What are the fees to request a birth / death certificate?
O.V.U.S. (Onlinevitalus) charges a transparent service of $29 fee for our filing assistance service.
Our fees include :
- All 50 states forms that guarantee the fastest, easiest, and most reliable services
- Our filing assistance service includes the filled out form as well as a verification process from one of our expert team members
- Dedicated Customer Service 24/7
- Customized instructions
- Your certificate in your hand guaranteed!.
How long does it take for the state to process my request for a birth / death certificate?
What is rush service?
If you have any issues or questions regarding your order we have a dedicated customer service team that is here to help.
What happens if I made a mistake on my application?
I have a problem with my order. What can I do
What’s the status of my order?
How can I track my order?
Vital Record Services
We have simplified the complex process of obtaining the Vital Record Certificate you needand all from the comfort of your home. Save time, start now!